March Blog

As of the 29th, I have volunteered 8 hours at UMC's Neuro ICU deparment. After the 31st, I will have served 10 volunteer hours this month. 
With this program coming to a close with just a handful of things left to do, I feel mostly relieved to see the better part of a year's worth of effort come into fruition. There is only one presentation, a few seminars, and the final MP exam left to take care of before it all comes to a close. Despite the biggest assignment on the horizon, I can't help but feel like it's the least of my concerns considering the amount of applications I need to submit and interviews I need to prepare for is increasing. So long as I can finish with a respectable grade, I think it would be more practical to focus on the non academic obligations that I have on my plate. 
With that being said, I would like to give some final thoughts on this program as a whole. Overall the lectures are perfectly fine in a vacuum, but some subjects such as MCP and CCM really needed a more physical aspect to hammer in the topics and provide a stronger understanding of everything we're studying. Personally, I think it would be more productive to just have a handful of classes just to have us, the students, become more familiar with the equipment, settings, and mechanisms that we were taught. For example, Dr. Mostany's lecture that involved Two Photon Microscopy showed pictures of the machine and the concept behind it, but seeing-possibly using it- and seeing how research data is generated would have been a lot more meaningful than some slides. Additionally, the seminar summary really just feels like busy work and a time sink at this point in the semester. I think having only 1 semester of it is an adequate amount to expose us to the environment of a scientific seminar. 
On the other hand, EP and NP are great classes that focus our attention to a different aspect of the health and life sciences. EP provided more agency and flexibility to our own specific interests, and NP required a more focused perspective on the preclinical side of medicine which I personally appreciate becoming more knowledgeable and comfortable with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feburary Blog

1st Semester Reflection

Januaray Blog Post